How do fake cryptocurrency trading apps operate?
How to protect yourself?
If you’re a Poloniex user and have installed any of these malicious apps on your device, start by uninstalling them. Make sure to change both your Poloniex and Gmail passwords and consider enabling 2-factor-authentication authentication for both services.
Here’s what you can do to avoid falling victim to fraudsters in the future:
- Be certain that the service you are using definitely has their own mobile app – if so, the app should be linked on their official website and it would be safest to follow this link
- Make sure to actually read app ratings and reviews, other users may have reported issues or warnings
- Be cautious of third party apps triggering alerts and windows appearing to be connected to Google – misusing users’ trust towards Google is a popular trick among cybercriminals
- Use 2 Factor Authentication for an additional layer of security
- Use a reliable mobile security solution; ESET products detect these credential stealers as Android/FakeApp.GV